Pasta with Chorizo and Mussels
Pasta is very popular in Spain, but with big Spanish flavours. Here’s my take. This is a dish I created with my friend Diego in Barcelona, with mussels we bought from La Boqueria, the city’s famous market. It went down very well with a glass of red wine from Priorat.
- Put 4 tablespoons of the olive oil, the garlic and the chillies in a large frying pan or saucepan over a medium-high heat. As soon as the garlic is sizzling, add the tomatoes and simmer gently for 15 minutes until well reduced, quite thick and just starting to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of well-salted water to the boil. Wash the mussels. Pull out the beards from between the tightly closed shells and discard any that are open and won’t close when tapped on a work surface. Add the spaghetti to the boiling water and cook for 10-11 mins or al punto – still with a little bite.
- Heat another large pan over a high heat. Add the mussels and the wine. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes, shaking the pan now and then until all the mussels are only just open. Take care not to overcook them at this stage. Tip them into a colander set over a bowl to collect the cooking juices. Stir all but the last tablespoon or two of the cooking liquid into the tomato sauce and continue to simmer until the sauce has reduced and thickened once more, but is a little more moist than before. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove half of the larger mussels from their shells. Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan. Add the chorizo and fry gently for 1 minute until lightly golden. Drain the spaghetti. Return to the pan and add the tomato sauce, cooled mussels, chorizo sausage and chopped parsley. Toss well together and serve.
From “José Pizarro’s Spanish Flavours: Stunning dishes inspired by the regional ingredients of Spain“. Reproduced with the kind permission of Kyle Books. Photograph by the amazing Emma Lee.
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp crushed dried chillies
- 400g skinned chopped tomatoes, fresh or tinned
- 1kg fresh mussels
- 400g dried spaghetti
- 6 tbsp dry white wine
- 200g cooking chorizo sausage, skinned and diced
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper