This typically Catalan combination of ingredients is a perennial favourite in Brindisa. In Catalunya they like to cook the spinach so that it’s completely collapsed and wilted, whereas I prefer it fresh and tossed only briefly in the hot oil. As there is quite a lot of spinach, you can cook it in two goes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large wok. Add the shallot, pine nuts and raisins and cook until golden.
- Add the spinach, and toss the leaves with the other ingredients (as you would a salad). The idea is to warm the spinach through – be careful not to overcook it.
- Season to taste and serve immediately.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small banana shallot, finely diced
- 35g pine nuts
- 35g raisins
- 300g baby spinach leaves
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper