100g unsalted butter
1 cinnamon stick
200g plain flour
4 large free range eggs
1ltr vegetable oil for frying
caster sugar to serve
for the blood orange cream
Finely grated zest of a blood orange
250ml blood orange juice
75g caster sugar
300ml double cream
over low heat to melt the sugar then increase the heat and bubble until you
have a luscious syrup. Set aside to cool
2. Heat the milk and butter with the cinnamon and bring to the boil. Still over the heat put the cinnamon stick into the milk and butter and then remove the cinnamon stick before adding the flour
3. Remove from the heat and gradually beat in the eggs one at a time until you
have a smooth very thick batter.
4. Heat the oil to 180c and drop heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture into the hot
oil and cook for 2-3 minutes until deep golden brown and puffed up. Scoop
out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat until you have
used all the batter. Toss in caster sugar whilst still warm.
5. Lightly whip the cream, then fold in the blood orange syrup.
6. Serve the plate of the fried bunuelos with the cream to dunk them in.